Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Childhood lawn mower memories...

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:25:41 -0700 (PDT), ChrisCoaster
wrote:

When I was between the ages of 3 and 9, I recall my Dad using a lawn
mower that you had to "wind" to start. It was a typical-looking push
gasoline mower, but it had this wind-up handle that you (1)unfolded
from the top of the engine, then (2) wound up several times clockwise
and folded up again, and finally (3) threw a pair of levers up ontop
near the handle you pushed the mower with.

1. Who made these mowers and
2. Any photos?

I vividly recall to this day the language that came from the back yard
as Dad tried to get that thing to start and run for at least 3 minutes
between "winding". The winding sound is actually similar to rapidly
passing a stick across a picket fence or the clickety clack sound some
bicycles made because their owners put a stick in the spokes that made
the sound as they rode down the street.

Thanks for helping to revive these memories!

-ChrisCoaster

We had a Toro reel mower with that wind up handle.