Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default New Dryer is Blowing the Circuit Breaker - HELP!

On Sep 23, 10:03*pm, wrote:
The situation is: * The house is 100 years old. Has 100 amp breaker
service. Bought a new dryer and after 15 minutes of running, it blows
the circuit breaker. I would just put in a bigger circuit breaker but
me and electricity don't get along very well.

I reset the breaker and turn on the new dryer - the breaker trips
again after a few minutes. *I have now stopped using the new dryer.

The dryer is about 30 feet from the breaker box. * *There used to be a
very old dryer that I assume worked just fine - we just bought the
house. *It has a three prong plug.

My question is: * *Just up the circuit breaker 5 amps and install one
a bit stronger? * Re-run some lower gauge wire and up the circuit
breaker by 5 amps from what it is already?

This is my kids house and is in the middle of nowhere (Ernest) *PA.
He has been trying to get an electrician to come out to the house but
it is like pulling teeth. *I will likely need to do it myself when I
go visit. *I just don't to burn the house down because I overloaded
the wire/circuit.

Suggestions - Hints?

Thought about buying a gas dryer? You only have 100 amps. If you run
the dryer while baking something, throw dinner in the microwaver, turn
on the TV and computer and have on a bunch of lights and you'll blow
the main.

The other possibility is, of course, that there's nothing wrong with
anything but that you normally do the wash at the same time you dry
your cloths. Do one load okay. Then you throw that load into the
dryer and start the next load of wash. Everything is okay until the
electric water heater kicks on and blows the circuit. Are the dryer
and the water heater on the same circuit? Just a thought.