Posted to uk.d-i-y
Allan Allan is offline

Default JCB 24v SDS Batteries

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Started using my £20 JCB 24v for a few jobs.

On a fully charged (according to the light on the charger) battery I drilled
about 6 x 6mm holes and the battery ran down to the point where the drill
suddenly stopped - seemed like some kind of cut-out operated. 5 mins later
it could be re started & I drilled another 2 holes - then it stopped again.

Would it have some kind of low power cut-out? None of my other battery
stuff has one.

It has a 'battery level indicator' on the back of the drill which showed
100% charged at the start & 80% charged when it stopped = not sure if these
things are at all accurate, seems like a gimmick to me.

Trouble is I have no experience of battery SDS drills, so I don't know if
this is usual for a battery SDS? I would have expected to drill more than
8 - 10 holes on a charge? What would a 24v brand name do on a charge?

Could be that the batteries are going through the initial stage where they
won't hold a charge until they have been charged/discharged a few times - is
this likely?

For your information mine is exactly the same. Like you I've not used
it enough to tell if the situation will improve. I have a JCB 240V drill
which has been one of the hardest tools I have ever owned. I was hopeing
the battery version might have been of similar stock

Allan