Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adam Sampson Adam Sampson is offline

Default Gotta do Best TV thing again

Albert Manfredi writes:

My expectation is that LCDs, which do not need high voltages, should
last fairly well. We'll see.

But LCDs *do* need high voltages, to run the electroluminescent or
cold-cathode backlight that most large displays have -- and, indeed,
backlight PSU problems are an extremely common failure mode on LCD
monitors that are more than a couple of years old. I've seen quite a few
die that way already.

My Dell 2001FP 20" LCD failed twice in four years. The customer service
operative I spoke to said they're only engineered to last three years
now, and it was unreasonable of me to expect to get any more than that
out of a £600 monitor -- suffice it to say that I won't be buying from
them again.

--
Adam Sampson http://offog.org/