Posted to rec.woodworking
pete pete is offline

Default Should I use my Radial Arm saw or my Table Saw to cut a 2 x4length wise

On Sep 20, 4:49*pm, "EXT" wrote:
I have both a radial arm saw and a table saw. Ripping a 2x4 lengthwise is a
natural job for a tablesaw. However, whichever saw you do use, keep in mind
that the 2x4 may be wet inside and may not be exactly straight which could
cause problems when cutting. If it is wet inside it will want to either
spread or contract together causing the wood to bind on the side of the
blade. Also wet wood can be a problem with a "good" blade that has too many
teeth. When I have to cut such wood I use an old, but still sharp, carbide
blade with a wide kerf, which has only 8 teeth on a 10 inch blade. The blade
doesn't bind much and the wide spaced teeth clear out the wet sticky sawdust
instead of heating up.

"Tom Veatch" wrote in message

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:41:14 -0700 (PDT), pete
wrote:

I have 2 nice saws and have to cut a 2x4 in half length wise. My son
approached the Table Saw, and I suggested the Radial Arm saw. ...
To be honest, could I get a feeling what you guys do?

dpb gave you the right answer. Do it whichever way gives the workpiece
the most stability and support.

I prefer using a table saw with an adequate outfeed table, but that's
just what I'm used to. A lot of folks cringe at the thought of ripping
with a RA, but a RA with a table that stabilizes the work is much
better than trying to use a TS without an outfeed table of with roller
stand supports that, IME, are far too prone to tipping or applying
side loads to the work (if the rollers are the least bit canted to one
side or the other).

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA- Hide quoted text -

I love all the answers, and at least I know that he could use the TS
as well as the RAS. and yes we have super support, because I believe
in the support issue very strongly. Maybe more answers will come, but
I'm sure there is probably no person that would only use one saw over
the other. The answers so far just make too much sense.....Thanks
again you nice folks here for helping me with some good answers.....I
almost forgot Tom mentioned using a sharp but otherwise older sawblade
with only 8 or 10 teeth. It really made a lot of sense to me, but I'm
again shocked for never considering that angle. I always use the
sawblade with the highest amount of teeth. I thought this would always
makes sense. Tom's remark however makes sense now, and I will never
forget it, well I hope not.....what a great discussion, I'm really
glad I wrote....Pete