Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch Tom Veatch is offline

Default Should I use my Radial Arm saw or my Table Saw to cut a 2 x4 length wise

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:41:14 -0700 (PDT), pete
wrote:

I have 2 nice saws and have to cut a 2x4 in half length wise. My son
approached the Table Saw, and I suggested the Radial Arm saw. ...
To be honest, could I get a feeling what you guys do?

dpb gave you the right answer. Do it whichever way gives the workpiece
the most stability and support.

I prefer using a table saw with an adequate outfeed table, but that's
just what I'm used to. A lot of folks cringe at the thought of ripping
with a RA, but a RA with a table that stabilizes the work is much
better than trying to use a TS without an outfeed table of with roller
stand supports that, IME, are far too prone to tipping or applying
side loads to the work (if the rollers are the least bit canted to one
side or the other).

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA