Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave + Gloria Dave + Gloria is offline

Default Dryer repair q

Maybe tension spring for the idler pulley has gone soft?

"Nick Danger" wrote in message
I have a 20-year-old gas dryer that stopped rotating its drum, so I opened
it up to have a look. I found that the belt had apparently stretched, as it
had no traction. I bought a new one and found that it was the same length
as the old one. I installed it and the problem was still there. There is no
way the drum could have been dislocated, and the motor is firmly bolted
down. I finally concluded that there was only one way to get everything to
fit and operate properly. I have to increase the diameter of the idler
pulley a little bit. I wrapped a lot of duct tape around it and now it
works- but with a lot of noise. The only explanation I can think of is that
the idler pulley has worn down. But when I look at pictures of one online,
it looks just like the one I have - not thicker. I don't see a pile of
white plastic sawdust inside the dryer. But I can't think of any other
explanation. Does anyone else have experience with this? Do idler pulleys
just wear down to the point that they belt loses its tension? Is there some
other explanation?