Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer repair q

Nick Danger wrote:
I have a 20-year-old gas dryer that stopped rotating its drum, so I
opened it up to have a look. I found that the belt had apparently
stretched, as it had no traction. I bought a new one and found that it
was the same length as the old one. I installed it and the problem was
still there. There is no way the drum could have been dislocated, and
the motor is firmly bolted down. I finally concluded that there was only
one way to get everything to fit and operate properly. I have to
increase the diameter of the idler pulley a little bit. I wrapped a lot
of duct tape around it and now it works- but with a lot of noise. The
only explanation I can think of is that the idler pulley has worn down.
But when I look at pictures of one online, it looks just like the one I
have - not thicker. I don't see a pile of white plastic sawdust inside
the dryer. But I can't think of any other explanation. Does anyone else
have experience with this? Do idler pulleys just wear down to the point
that they belt loses its tension? Is there some other explanation?

Was there no spring to apply tension to
the idler pulley? There is also a bearing
holding up the backside of the tub that
could be worn out allowing the tub to drop
down and make the belt too loose. If you
posted the model number I may be able to
look up the mechanical drawing and take a
look at what you have.

[8~{} Uncle Monster