Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.engr.television.advanced
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Gotta do Best TV thing again

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

Not to p*ss on anyone's parade or anything, but quite frankly, I
can't fathom how anyone can rave over analog CRT TVs anymore.

One thing is the longevity...I've seen my old CRT TVs go past their 10th,
20th, and even 25th birthdays, and they still work as well as they ever did.
Most have required nothing more than simple cleaning of the screen to keep
right on plugging along.

I *like* that kind of a lifetime out of a product, and I'm not sure we'll
ever see it with the more modern LCD and Plasma TV sets. (Or maybe even the
modern CRT sets for that matter.) I'm of the strong belief that most (if not
all) of them won't last nearly as long because they were not made as well.

I'd like to have seen it in the late-century CRTs as well. Just because
they 'could' make them better--and in fact did at one time--doesn't
mean that just any CRT will last even five years. I've had dozens of
monitors and nearly as many TVs which I sh*tcanned because the CRT wore out.

They have a finite lifetime, after which the emissions inevitably
decline. That's if the shadow mask doesn't warp or get dislodged, or a
short doesn't develop.

That said, I like CRTs. I liked vinyl records as well. Make an LCD
with the same attention to workmanship as the older picture tubes, add
an easily-replaceable backlight (or an LED one which won't burn
out)...and you have a product which should last longer than the average CRT.

Whether you'll think it looks as good is another question altogether.

I am not saying that I would never buy an LCD or plasma TV set, but right
now I see no reason to do so. I don't have any need for anything more than
what the sets I have can offer, and I'm not going to throw them out while
they still work fine and meet my needs.

Nor would/will I. I have a 15 year old RP CRT machine that suits me
just fine. When it dies, though, I'll likely replace it with something
that doesn't take up so much room and use as much electricity.

jak
William