Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.engr.television.advanced
TonyQ TonyQ is offline

Default Gotta do Best TV thing again

Somebody or some team designed one heck of a tv and I got lucky and
bought one...25 years ago.

Maybe one of you reading this was involved in this masterpiece.

I am a layman. Yes I experienced the awesome Zenith black and whites
from the 50's. But in 1983 I accidentally got the color set to die
for.

I have owned early RCA, Zenith, and later the best of Sony CRT and
rear projection, and Phillips CRT and Sanyo CRT and Panasonic CRT....
...to name a few.

I purchased from Sears "Outlet". ....1983.... a .Sears-LXI
(Sanyo?RCA?) 26" Model.. a true combo tv-channel 3 or 4 -monitor .
Model 564-42951650 / 564.42952650.

The picture quality and the built-in features are awesome and long
lived.

I post this because few if any of the new monitors and TV's have the
flexible features this one had ..in conjunction with quality
performance ...let alone anticipated longevity.

Since it came from the outlet store, that meant it failed shortly for
the first buyer. It failed shortly for me as well, but the one or two
tiny resistors-capacitors? put in by a tech 4 months after I owned
it, under warranty, has resulted in PERFECT performance ever
since......that is 25 years to date.

I do mean perfect. "...(That tube TV has an awesome picture. very
..bright and sharp and the color is balanced)..." is the comment of
many ...even today's LCD owners. And the set is LOADED with
features. The set was designed at 330 lines max resolution
....broadcast standard. The lumens are incredible..it displays in hot
white, and with the sharpness circuit turned to zero, tint-color-
brightness-contrast are dead on at default midpoint. Oh I will lower
the brightness one knotch and tint up one knotch, occasionally,
depending on the broadcast. The lumens are so great they hurt your
eyes in a dark room. Really. If you turned down the brightness, color
and tint could never be balanced. I had to move it from a dark family
room to a sunlit or lamp lit ..living room. The new 36" rear
projection unit (lousy Sony needed color guns often) was too faint
for the sunlit room anyway so it went to the family room and the LXI
was too bright for the dark room... so it went to the living room into
a custom built ..leaded glass door A/V oak entertainment center. A
gorgeous combo.

Beau-coup Features:
Unusually heavy beast...est 55 pounds

BACK PANEL:
3 - way switch : force tv tuner or channel 3 or channel 4 monitor
function
-time does not show on screen if 3 or 4 is forced

normal or catv switch

Here's what I love too: RCA input and outputs:
video-audio inputs..... one, and two and THREE
OUTPUT one) fixed audio stereo or mono and video
2nd OUTPUT ) audio only-VARIABLE

NO S-CONNECTOR

ONE 75 OHM ANTENNA PORT

External speaker terminals
Internal-external speaker switch

As you can see, with a relatively inexpensive switch box this unit can
be used as a central a/v preamp or and economy a/v receiver.

Performance features:
A fine tuning up down for exceptional CATV and antenna inputs ( I
never used it) V-Hold etc
Nice, top - narrow control hideaway door
Stereo-mono selector
Bilingual selector
Both of the above plus the time is displayed briefly when
changing channels.
Time- time on- sleep time -off programmer. Use it as an alarm clock.
125 channel tuner
Headphone jack up front with automatic speaker cut out if used.
Good control buttons up front if remote fails including OBC ( One
Button Color -centering reset.

I never measured the distortion on the speaker outs. The variable
audio out is pretty darn good. ..

This puppy performs. I ordered an HD converter from DishNetwork. I'll
get an LCD when this AWESOME crt tv fails me. Somebody or some team
designed one heck of a tv and I got lucky and bought one.