Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Filling a skip - etiquette

tony sayer wrote:

As it 'appens we've ordered a skip for a small job out in the sticks
tomorrow. Price quoted, 4 yard one, inc VAT is 55 quid but thats only
concrete and brick rubble.

Chuck one bit of wood in there and the price goes up to a whopping 115
quid!..

Anyone had this quoted?..

Yes.
Hardcore is easy to get rid of, even the landfill sites use it when
burying the rubbish.Many places will take hardocre for free, as they can
sell it on.
Add other 'rubbish' in there and it is no good as hardcore, so it has to
be dumped, causing a charge for the skip company.
The local tip charged £65/tonne the last time I asked, a skip can easily
hold 3 tonnes.
Obviously skip companies have a better rate, but it still costs them a
lot to dump general rubbish.

I had to dig up a garden last year, a 6 cu yd skip was filled - it would
have been £35 cheaper if it was mud/soil only, but as there was some
turf in there, it was classed as 'mixed' waste, so was charged at max.
rate.
£115 is pretty expensive, I had the same size skip last week for garden
rubbish at £70.50.
Alan.