Justin

Default Splits in beach worktop

My 4 month old new 40mm solid beech worktops have started to split in a
couple of locations all in the same general area.

It is close to a 90 degree joint in the woktop (they only ovelap 100mm), and
what appears to have happened is the 90 degree section has shrunk along its
length (above dishwasher, so gets warm), and dragged the other worktop
withit, until it wouldn't move anyfurther, and then started to split.

The splits are along the joints of the staves, the worst is 5" long approx
1mm wide at worst. The other 2 are quite fine but noticeable.

I have a choice, remove the dishwasher and slacken off the worktop bolt
which joints the 2 worktops at 90 degrees, and see if they go back
naturally. The problem here is the joint is also glued so releasing the bolt
may have no affect.

The other choice is to monitor the splits to make sure they dont get any
worse (I am assuming most of the shrinkage has now been taken up) and then
fill them, resand and then oil.

I was thinking about mixing pva with sanding dust from an off cut, filling
the splits, sanding then re oiling, or mixing the dust with the worktop oil
(good cour match?) allowing to set slightly then filling etc. Last choice
would be propiertary filling kit but I'm dubious about getting a good colour
match.

Any ideas/experiences?

thanks

Justin