Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Backyard "Platform"

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 04:36:07p, Pete C. told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Our relatively new yard is in transition and we currently have no patio
or deck. I would like to assemble something semi-permanent that would
be easy to do, as well as easy to disassemble when we upgrade to an
outdoor "room".

My idea was to use 2"x6"x12' pressure treated lumber laid flat at
intervals directly on the ground and anchor them to the soil with
either rebar or stakes to prevent movement. These boards would be
leveled and with a slight pitch for any water runoff. Then construct
the platform floor across these boards also using 2"x6"x12'
pressure-treated boards, attaching them with either galvanized or
stainless steel screws.

We live in the desert, so there's no concern about ground movement due
to winter heaving or damage from excessive moisture.

This would give us a 12' x 12' platform roughly 4" above the ground,
where we would place our grill and umbrella table and chairs.

Does this sound feasible?

Feasible, but expensive. I'd go with large square (18"+) concrete pavers
with a minimal layer of sand for leveling. When you're through with them
they can simply be stacked in a corner, or sold on Craigslist or similar
since they will not degrade.

The pavers are seldom over 2" thick and I really do want about 4" height to
avoid the feeling of "sitting right on the ground". The pavers also absorb
and radiate heat far more than wood, which is a *big* issue in our area
It's not a bad idea, for the very reasons you mentioned, but wouldn't
really give me what I want. I haven't priced anything out yet, so perhaps
that should be my first step.

Thanks for your input, Pete.

Having spent some time barefoot on a raised wooden deck (grayed PT) as
well as normal gray-white concrete in Houston recently when it was 110
out, I can assure you there isn't much difference in heat absorption and
radiation.

If you want the height, Lay a perimeter ring of the pavers, then fill
inside with the leveling sand tamped and leveled, and then place the
top layer. You get your 4" height, using only a few more pavers and a
little more sand.