Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Aug 28, 4:59*pm, "john" wrote:
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on tophttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_o...

or

ground on bottomhttp://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/00/34/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

Years ago I worked at a factory where the electricians were required
to install all outlets ground up. I was told that since there was more
of a chance that a metal object would come in contact with a loose
plug from the top than from the bottom, and since in the vast majority
of the installations the type of cord would not be an issue, they
opted for the "safer" method.

In other words, if it makes the factory just a tad bit safer, and
really has no other impact (other then writing it up in the procedure
manual) then why not?