Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Under kitchen sink

On Aug 23, 10:11*am, Anagram wrote:
"EXT" wrote ctanews.com:

I am confused. It is important to know that compression fittings use a
different threading than threaded pipe fittings. Don't try to mix them

Right, for example a hose that connects a faucet to the water supply below
uses a threaded pipe (NPT) fitting on the faucet and a compression fitting on
the water supply. *And that kind of compression fitting is different from the
kind that goes on bare copper pipe. *So that's three different kinds of
fittings, two of which are compression.

or you will destroy both sets of threads. If you are talking about
compression fittings that use a brass ring on the pipe, they usually
cannot reliably be reused, often leaking. This is why I don't like to

What about the kind of compression fitting that doesn't use a brass ring
(ferule?) but just compresses the fitting directly against the pipe, with an
insert (of unclear purpose) in the pipe?

use compression fittings on standard copper pipe such as you have
sticking out of the concrete because the only cure for the crushed
copper is to cut it back, which you don't want to do. I would use only
soldered fittings on the pipe with conversion fittings to adapt to the
supply tube and/or valves that you should install.

And I've never soldered pipe before. *The only soldering I have done is
electronic circuits, which is an entirely different kind of work. *If I heat
the adaptor with a torch, do I then just lift it off the pipe? *With a tool
such as pliers? *How will I know when it's heated enough? *Will the heat of
the pipe heat the pliers and burn my hand?

The main reason I have to remove one of the present soldered adaptors is that *
the thin pipe to the faucet is stuck in that adapator, as if it had something
connected to the lower end which wouldn't fit through the adaptor, and there
is no easy way to apply enough force to remove it, because of the awkward
position.

I'm having trouble following & understanding the description of the
installation.

Any chance of some photos? Are there no angle stops? Sounds like a
hack job.

cheers
Bob