Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Under kitchen sink

"Anagram" wrote in message
Thanks for the answers. The pipes from the foundation are terminated
with seemingly-soldered adaptors to provide compression threads. One
chromed faucet pipe is stuck in one of those, with the compression nut
unscrewed. The other chromed faucet pipe has been removed by me (easily)
and replaced with a hose designed for connecting to the faucet, and is
now leak-free. Except I still might want to connect other stuff to it.

The lower end of that faucet hose has compression hardware built-in, to
connect directly to the compression threads mentioned above. Is that
kind of hose-end connection reusable? Or does the first-time compression
of it cause it to become significantly less reliable the 2nd time you
compress it? In other words, can you unscrew it, put a valve or tee or
something like that in between, then screw it back, and not expect it to
leak?

As for the stuck pipe, if I cut it and bend it, can I "unscrew" it,
causing it to become unstuck by lots of turning? Or is there a better
way to remove it? It seems like it has something inside catching on the
soldered compression adaptor. And I can't put a lot of force on it to
remove it, because anything I use as a fulcrum to get leverage, just
bends the floor of the under-sink cabinet.

I don't want to destroy the stuck pipe till I'm sure I know how to remove
it, because, presently, even though it has a very minor leak, it's
working, when I put the compression nut back on. And I have to turn off
all the water in the house to work on it, because there is presently no
stop valve there. So, if I cut it and bend it, to try to unscrew it,
we're stuck with no water till I finish the job.

I am confused. It is important to know that compression fittings use a
different threading than threaded pipe fittings. Don't try to mix them or
you will destroy both sets of threads. If you are talking about compression
fittings that use a brass ring on the pipe, they usually cannot reliably be
reused, often leaking. This is why I don't like to use compression fittings
on standard copper pipe such as you have sticking out of the concrete
because the only cure for the crushed copper is to cut it back, which you
don't want to do. I would use only soldered fittings on the pipe with
conversion fittings to adapt to the supply tube and/or valves that you
should install.