Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_4_] Erik[_4_] is offline

Default Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

In article
,
wrote:

Do I need to take the trailer to HD to get a new water heater or can I
lay the box on its side in the bed of my truck? I have a fiberglass
topper and the heater is too tall to stand up.

The boxes say "This side up" and whatnot, but it's a water heater...
I'd like to save gas and just get the heater on the way home instead
of making a special trip.

I was told years ago not to transport water heaters horizontally because
their long internal Magnesium anode rods are fragile suspended out
supported only by one end.

In the real world, I've transported 8 or 10 new ones horizontally
through the years, but have always been extra careful of road bumps, and
to not to mechanically 'shock' the heater while on it's side.

If you do break a rod, you won't have any way of knowing, and it won't
'rear' it's ugly head till the tank rusts through pre-maturely...

Erik