Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

wrote:
On Aug 21, 3:30 pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
When you're picking up your water heater, splurge on some tie-down
ratchet straps. Put the WH upright in your pickup, and strap it in
place. You just solved both problems at once, and you have new straps
for future use.

I've got plenty of tie-down straps.

What I don't have is overhead clearance to stand the water heater
upright anywhere in the pickup. It's about 5'6" tall in the box, and
I've only got 2' of clearance under the fiberglass topper. Even
raised, I've only got 3'6" of clearance at the back of the bed.

I just checked the box a little more closely. In one warning label, it
depicts a water heater sticking out of the trunk of a car, and says,
"Avoid hauling like this, but if you must haul it like this ensure
adequate padding for the box."

So, they imply that it's okay to lay it on its side if necessary.

I'm only going about 5 miles over smooth road, and I'll drive slowly
and carefully.

BTW, nowhere in any of this have I made the mistake of calling it a
"HOT water heater," so NYAH-NYAH!!!!

It's a cold water heater, a hot water
heater is a boiler. *snicker*

[8~{} Uncle Monster