Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

On Aug 22, 8:11 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 22, 8:00 am, Big_Jake wrote:

On Aug 21, 9:54 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 21, 10:45 pm, Big_Jake wrote:

On Aug 21, 10:49 am, wrote:

Do I need to take the trailer to HD to get a new water heater or can I
lay the box on its side in the bed of my truck? I have a fiberglass
topper and the heater is too tall to stand up.

The boxes say "This side up" and whatnot, but it's a water heater...
I'd like to save gas and just get the heater on the way home instead
of making a special trip.

I have never seen so much BS in a thread on this group. I have NEVER
hauled a water heater standing up, and I have installed between 35 and
50 in my lifetime. The ONLY thing that you have to watch out for is
that you don't smack the gas valve while transporting it, which is
clearly marked as "control" on one side. If the heater is electric,
you don't even have to worry about it.

JK

I have never seen so much BS in a thread on this group.

What BS?

If my math is correct, 99% of the responders either said it was OK to
haul it on it's side or made a joke about it. The only one who said to
haul it upright missed the part where the OP said he had a cap on his
truck, and then corrected himself.

Where's the BS you mention?

1) Could the anode break if it is on its side?

I know this is a question, but c'mon, the anode is a metal rod

Not BS, just an ignorant (but not stupid) question.

2)I believe that most have a glass lining...

Yeah, 30 years ago. Someone else already caught this.

Not BS, just an ignorant (but not stupid) belief

3)Avoid stresses when loading it into your truck.

Semantics perhaps, but not BS

You said it yourself: "The ONLY thing that you have to watch out for
is
that you don't smack the gas valve while transporting it"

He said stress, you said smack. You say tomaaato, I say tamotto.

(Now *that's* BS - I don't really say tamotto)

This sounds like good advice, but the box actually protects it pretty
well. The worst you might do it put a dent in it. Again, I load them
by pivoting the carton all the time, and have never damaged one. But
the real danger is pivoting it on the gas control, which is relatively
easy to damage.

4)Avoid kinking, like a cheap file cabinet or fridge...

Even if we grant you this one as a possible BS candidate, IMO a single
instance doesn't measure up to "I have never seen so much BS in a
thread on this group. "

Respect to aem, who posts all the time, but again, the heater is in a
heavy carton. Also, there is a layer of insulation between the tank
and the jacket, which makes the heater harder to dent or kink. Unlike
a file cabinet or refrigerator, you aren't like to see the dent you
put in a heater, since they are usually installed in closets,
basements, attics, utility rooms, etc.

JK- Hide quoted text -

I concede and bow to your greater patience for lame answers to
newsgroup questions.

JK