Posted to uk.d-i-y
cynic cynic is offline

Default New electric meter - how to read ( Economy 7 tarriff reader)

On 18 Aug, 09:08, "endymion" wrote:
"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in ella.org...

I am trying to read this meter because *there is something wrong with the
way its reading ( or something wrong with the house wiring) because *I am
using 200 quids worth of electric a month and I have nothing on.

If you have an isolator switch, switch it off, and see if it's still
recording use.

Are you in a flat, or otherwise shared accomodation of any sort ? - it
could be that the wiring is unbeknownst to you, shared with another.

Take readings now, photograph them if possible, holding a newspaper so
that the date is showing.

Check if the meter is using units against both readings - it could be
that their timeswitch or radio telemeter (switches on receipt of a
radio signal) is knackered.

Thankyou all for the advice. I have now worked out that R stands for day
rate and T is night rate.
I have systematically switched everything off *and established the problems
may lie with *one storage heater which unfortunately tends to be the one
that has been kept on most of the year ( its unseasonably cold and
permanently raining).

Its now switched off and *the meter has dropped to 20 units use overnight
( and that includes the water heater/ immersion which comes on for two
hours.) . Day *usage being 16 but we had an electric fire on because of the
cold yesterday. That is significantly lower than it was running.

If I extrapolate the figures for 90 days that would give a night usage of
18473 units. *The bill for last quarter showed a usage of 5268 overnight.