Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomarse Thomarse is offline

Default Laptop LCD screen problems

On Aug 15, 4:34*pm, wrote:
On Aug 15, 4:06*pm, wrote:

On 15 Aug, 15:39, Thomarse wrote:

Sorry for posting twice in a short time, but I have another problem,
which probably isnt for this forum but someone may be able to point me
to a decent forum that can help...

I have an Acer Aspire 3630 Laptop which has developed a screen
problem. The screen will only work when I hold it in the top left
corner and apply slight pressure down and to the right, as if to
slightly twist the screen.

When this started it was less frequent and I managed to move the
screen around a bit until it worked and then as long as I didnt move
it again it was fine. But now it is permanant and the pressure needig
to be applied seems to be increasing! To the point now that I can't
even use it unless I plug it into an external monitor (my LCD tv)

When plugged into the tv the display is fine. When the screen "breaks"
on the laptop the image freezes at that point in time, so I cant use
the mouse etc as it is as if it has been paused! when pressure is
applied it works again.

I have googled the problem and found no answer I have also looked into
buying a new screen, which is my next option after asking on here, but
they are around £100 and if i can avoid this I want to!

I have had the screen apart, and checked all connections, cables etc
and found nothing loose and nothing that makes it work when "wiggled"..
So I am at a loss!

Any advice as to how to fix this without buying a new screen would be
very very helpful. I have already resigned myself to buying a new one,
this is really my last ditch attempt to save my wallet!!!

Thanks

It sounds like you have a connection problem with either the LCD
inverter or the backlight.
If you can remove the bezel you should be able to narrow down which of
the components responds to the application of physical pressure.

The bezel is normally removed by pulling out the rubber plugs around
the screen and removing the screws under them.

The LCD inverted is easily replaced - it has 2 connectors which plug
into it - and a replacement can normally be had for ~£20.

Mark.

www.kpcomputerstore.co.uk

You've got a loose connection or a dry solder joint. Since the problem
is picture freeze, the problem is not with the invertor, but with
either the data cable that connects to the screen, or the data
processing circuitry built into the screen. Best way to locate a loose
or dry joint is to tap around fairly gently using a non-conductive
pencil shaped thing. Hit the troubled spot and it should respond,
working and freezing as you go.

Whether you can then fix it depends whats at fault.

NT- Hide quoted text -

Its all just tiny circuits in the board, no way my soldering skills
would fix it I dont think, it doesnt sound very hopeful!

Thanks