Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
[email protected] daszkiew2000@yahoo.com is offline

Default Painting exterior stucco spray or roll?

On Jul 31, 2:33*pm, "Billy Pilgrim" wrote:
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"Tube Audio" wrote in message
. ..
I have a single story ranch style home that was built in the mid 1950's..

The exterior is stucco and I am getting proposals on getting it painted.
One of the beter painters in the area tells me that he sprays with a good
tip and another person is right behind him to backroll. *He says he can
roll but it will take alot longer. *He says that the spray / backroll
yields good results.

Another painter tells me that he only rolls and that it is better.

Is there much of a difference?

Here's an answer from a desert rat that lived in Las Vegas for fifty
years.

Spraying paint on stucco gives you better penetration and coverage into
all the crevices, as stucco is a very uneven surface. *Some say you don't
have to backroll if you just spray thick, but someone who offers to
backroll obviously knows what they are doing and willing to take the extra
time. Backrolling also eliminates a lot of overlap lines that are visible
on the dried painted surface. *There is no comparison between spraying and
rolling, except spraying will probably use more paint, but what's wrong
with that? No matter what you do, you will not get down into all the
crevices with a roller unless you load your roller with about a gallon of
paint each time, and you'll lose half of that to gravity and centrifugal
spin of the roller. Do the spray. *If you really want to go better from
there, check out the elastomeric stucco paints, but they take a heavier
sprayer. *These will flex and not show the small cracks associated with
stucco aging.

Just MHO, what do I know?

Steve

Painting stucco is like painting a cement sponge. Which is why it holds
moisture and the paint doesn't last.

Very simple.- Hide quoted text -

do not paint stucco. PERIOD. if you ever do ( with eg. latex exterior
paint) breathing ability of stucco will be impaired /suppressed and
you will het mold/fungus/dry rot in between stucco and the wall