Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Painting exterior stucco spray or roll?

"Tube Audio" wrote in message
I have a single story ranch style home that was built in the mid 1950's.

The exterior is stucco and I am getting proposals on getting it painted.
One of the beter painters in the area tells me that he sprays with a good
tip and another person is right behind him to backroll. He says he can
roll but it will take alot longer. He says that the spray / backroll
yields good results.

Another painter tells me that he only rolls and that it is better.

Is there much of a difference?

Here's an answer from a desert rat that lived in Las Vegas for fifty years.

Spraying paint on stucco gives you better penetration and coverage into all
the crevices, as stucco is a very uneven surface. Some say you don't have
to backroll if you just spray thick, but someone who offers to backroll
obviously knows what they are doing and willing to take the extra time.
Backrolling also eliminates a lot of overlap lines that are visible on the
dried painted surface. There is no comparison between spraying and rolling,
except spraying will probably use more paint, but what's wrong with that?
No matter what you do, you will not get down into all the crevices with a
roller unless you load your roller with about a gallon of paint each time,
and you'll lose half of that to gravity and centrifugal spin of the roller.
Do the spray. If you really want to go better from there, check out the
elastomeric stucco paints, but they take a heavier sprayer. These will flex
and not show the small cracks associated with stucco aging.

Just MHO, what do I know?

Steve