Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default What is mercury worth?

wrote:
On Jul 28, 12:08 pm, RB wrote:

Estate sale, fellow has about 5 lbs of liquid metallic mercury.
it was used as adjustable mass/weight in benchrest rifles.
Owner/heir is concerned about EPA issues etc.
But it has a value somewhere.
Do scrap metal dealers buy it?
Is there a price/lb?

I see it for sale for about $6/lb, I see it asked for, willing to pay
$1.50/lb.

Find a taker for any price, its more of a liability (in the current
eco-climate) than an assett.

Googling ' mercury scrap price ' turns up a few listings.

Dave

You could also check around for your local gold prospecting clubs.
Maybe a prospector has a use for it. GPAA can provide you with the name
of GPAA clubs in your area. If you have a prospection/metal detector
store in your area, check with them.

Jim