Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Molded wood -vs- plastic toilet seat

Doc wrote:

I replaced a toilet seat. At Home Depot they had a large selection
of various materials - wood, plastic and molded wood. The old one
was a molded wood seat that came with the house.

There seemed to be more molded wood models than any other. The
paint had worn off the old one in spots and it actually cracked which
is what finally prompted me to replace it. I went with a plastic model
with a "quiet close" hinge and a quick release feature which seems
like a really good idea for convenient, thorough cleaning of the toilet.

I went with plastic because it doesn't have paint to wear off and I'm guessing
won't break on the load bearing area like the old molded wood one did

Depends on how much of a hippo you are.

and will hold up better over time.

Depends on how much of a hippo you are.

What's the benefit of a molded wood seat?

Some dont like plastic.

Some of them were pretty expensive, so it doesn't seem to be just a "cheap" alternative.

Corse it isnt.