Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Experience with Home Depot or Lowe's Wood Fence Purchase/Installation?

On Tue 22 Jul 2008 06:44:58p, BETA-35 told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...

As far as gates are concerned, we had planned on three 4' wide gates,
one at each side of the house and one in the middle of the back span.

I think you should seriously consider making one of the side gates much
wider -- maybe by combining two 4-foot wide gates to enable at least an
8-foot opening if needed. You never know when you will need to drive a
pickup truck into the back yard to load or unload dirt, mulch,
bricks/stones for a new patio, etc. Many lawn service companies use
mowers that are more than 4 feet wide.

I agree with your suggestion, but it wouldn't be too practical. Those
fence portions will run from the front corner of the house on each side to
the edge of the propertly line. Total distance on each side is barely 9
feet. We have a desert yard, so no grass, just compacted granite, so no
mower. This is typical in our area, as are 4-foot gates. Most bobcats can
easily clear the opening, and can move in most materials we might need.

Our future plans include a deck or Arizona Room, but the building materials
involved should pass through a 4 ft. gate with no problem. They do it all
the time out here.

Those folks have 8 ft. gates usually have them because they park an RV in
the back yard.

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestion, however.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)