Posted to alt.home.repair
J.H. Holliday J.H. Holliday is offline

Default Experience with Home Depot or Lowe's Wood Fence Purchase/Installation?

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
We would like to fence in our back yard with 6' x 8' wood fence panels (I
would guess using 4" x4" posts). Wood choices would be probably white
pine, white cedar, red cedar, or redwood for the panels. The total
perimeter is approximately 200 lineal feet. We would probably need/want
two gates. We will probably use either Home Depot or Lowe's for both
product and contracted installation. We live in Mesa, Arizona, so would
only be concerned with heat issues since we get very little rain and
(obviously) no snow or ice. Overall cost is some consideration.

I would welcome opinions on choice of material as well as any
recommendation of Home Depot vs. Lowe's. I understand that both companies
engage or arrange for independent contractors for installation.

We're not quite ready to get estimates, so thought I would ask here first.

TIA

HD is batting one out of three with my installs.

Good: water heater--- no problems, done fast, done right.

Bad: whole-house recarpeting and partial re-reroofing. Had serious problems
with both of the contractors they subbed the jobs out to. And in both cases,
HD would not take any responsibility or even get involved to the extent of
talking to the sub. They said-- it's between you and them and walked away.

I said no, the credit card payment was to you and I disputed both charges to
the card issuer and wouldn't pay. HD eventually saw my side of it with the
roofing sub and that was resolved.

However, the carpet problem ended up in small claims court where HD sent TWO
fancy-suited lawyers. I went alone and explained my side of it-- well
documented with pictures and a "daily log" on the job's progress (or lack
thereof). The judge socked it to them, reducing my cost to what I felt was
fair-- then hit them punitive damages in the same amount of the payment
due....so I eventually got a free house full of carpet. But 5-6 years later,
the faulty installation showed itself and I have lots of ridges and pulls.

HD wouldn't send a crew back to fix the problems so last week I wrote a
letter reminding them that the same judge still is still sitting on small
claims court.

I haven't heard back from them yet---but I'll keep you posted!!