Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default How to strip paint from copper ?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:44:30 +0100, "Phil"
wrote:

I'm thinking to rebuild a victorian lamp post lantern.
It is in a sorry state but is complete and can be made good.
All copper construction so can be straightened and soldered.
It has been painted, and overpainted, many times.
I cannot make any repairs until the metal is clean

Any ideas please on how to remove the layers of paint?
Using heat & scraper is, I think, a non-starter. Too much damage to flat
areas and all but impossible in more intricate areas.
I don't know effect what nitromors or any other paint stripper might have on
the metal.

Nitromors will be fine as long as you don't leave it on for any
significant period of time ( i.e. overnight ). It won't do any damage
as such, but it might discolour the metal slightly.
Intricate areas might be better stripped with a flame gun and a small
pick - or a fine brass brush. You should be OK with regard to any
solderwork as long as you keep the flame moving.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk