Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Alan is offline

Default Rawlplug just turning, how can I get a grip?

In message , Steven
Campbell wrote
I put up one of those floating shelves which took 5 screws. It went on to a
brick / plaster external wall.
The rawlplugs said to use 7mm for the hole but I used a 6mm drill knowing
the drill would probably wander slightly.
3 of the Rawlplugs don't seem to be catching at all and the screws just turn
when they should be getting tight.
I tried upping the screws to size 12 but its just the same. I'm beginning to
think I never went into the brick but into the gaps between the bricks!

I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into the wall
which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated. Also I can't move
the shelf as its the only wall / height it can be it.

Any ideas on best way to get the screws to take?

To get it out just screw in the screw (without the shelf). Once the
screw thread just catches on the sides of the plug pull the screw out
with a pair of pliers. The plug should come out with it.

To stop the plug turning put a match stick down the outside of the plug
(after cutting off the match head)

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com