Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot is offline

Default Rawlplug just turning, how can I get a grip?

Steven Campbell wrote:
I put up one of those floating shelves which took 5 screws. It went
on to a brick / plaster external wall.
The rawlplugs said to use 7mm for the hole but I used a 6mm drill
knowing the drill would probably wander slightly.
3 of the Rawlplugs don't seem to be catching at all and the screws
just turn when they should be getting tight.
I tried upping the screws to size 12 but its just the same. I'm
beginning to think I never went into the brick but into the gaps
between the bricks!
I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into
the wall which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated.
Also I can't move the shelf as its the only wall / height it can be
it.
Any ideas on best way to get the screws to take?

Cheers

Steven.

I'd fill the holes with Gripfill, personally, and hope the shelves were
never coming down again.

Si