Renata

Default power tools -- price vs quality?

T'all depends on what you're planning to build (which you did identify
in your post) and what style, among other things.
How much solid wood work are you thinking you'll be doing? It's quite
possible, for certain styles, to build furniture almost totally outta
plywood with little solid wood.

Wood can be bought S4S and even pre cut to your needed widths if you
find the right supplier (NOT HD!). Where I'm going is, you might get
away, initially, without a table saw. Or jointer, or planer. Or some
other big ticket items. Rather, (to present another idea) get a
good circular saw ($100-150), good blade(s) and good router( ~$200+).
Plus some router bits (more $ than the router potentially). Maybe
throw in a good jigsaw (Milwaukee or Bosch (THE name in jigsaws, Leon)
~$150+) in the mix eventually. Oh, and you'll need some sanders - a
ROS and 1/4 pad. A drill too. Maybe a small (or not so small) drill
press, particularly if you're gonna be drill those shelf support holes
in cabinets and bookshelves. Some hand tools too, prolly. This way
you get a feel for the hobby without too major an investment, are able
to build some things, and can add equipment as you figure things out
and are financially able.

I'd stay away from cheap stuff cause you usually get what you pay for.
ANd, end up paying for it in other ways. Read the other comments for
more on this. While you might get away with HF clamps on certain
projects, you ain't gonna get far (I'd guess) with a HF power tool.
Besides, the differences in functionality, ergonomics (for lack of a
better word), etc. are usually quite noticeable between the cheap
tools and the better ones. Can't forget the day I first used my new
Bosch jigsaw after putting up with the el cheapo B&D jigsaw (it
wasn't a frequently used tool so I didn't justify a new one for quite
a while) - like nite and day. Not to say you have to go overboard and
get the ultimate like maybe Festool, but do spring for the semi/pro
stuff.

Just a couple cents worth
Renata

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:19:50 -0400, "BobAtVandy"
wrote:

I'm a potential newbie woodworker, trying to ascertain the likely cost of
getting into this. I'm persuaded by all the advice on this newgroup that
it's worth springing for a good table saw first and foremost. But I don't
have a sense of when it's worthwhile paying more for better (brand?) for
other types of equipment. I check the catalogs and, as you all know, there
is a considerable spread in price for a given type of equipment. Obviously,
I want to be able to get good results so I don't become frustrated and
disillusioned with the hobby. On the other hand, I really want to minimize
the expense. I'm probably most likely to be doing cabinets, bookshelves,
desks, furniture types of things.

So, any advice on the following equipment would be appreciated. (Apologies
if some of my comments seem naive, but don't hesitate to correct me.)

--snip--