Lew Hodgett

Default questions: strength of plywood

(Henry) writes:

Imagine a rough table made of a single 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, with a
leg (4x4) at each corner. Imagine a weight placed exactly in the center
of this table.

The preliminary question is, how much will the plywood sag under the
weight?

snip

I quit doing beam deflection calculations the day I walked out of school so
I won't bore you with a lot of math which requires you to make a lot of
assumptions anyway.

The short answer is:

You can't get there from here.

Plywood without proper support, will sag of it own weight.

Build a frame using 1x4's doubled around the outside with 1/4 cross members
on 16" centers parallel to the 4 ft dimension.

Cover with a piece of 1/2" 4 ply, CDX if for storage, 2 pieces, if it will
be an active table.

You will also need 1x4's for the diagonal bracing used to keep the legs in
place.

At least that is the way I build them, only I use 2x6's for frame and legs,
but then again, It is used for 250 lb rolls of fiberglass.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures