B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Default power tools -- price vs quality?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:19:50 -0400, "BobAtVandy"
wrote:

DRILL PRESS -- It seems to me that as long as the 'table' can be set square
(or at a set angle), and locked tight, anything else is a matter of
convenience.

Run out. A 1/8" hole should be a 1/8" hole. Too much run out will
destroy your accuracy. A perfect drill press will turn perfectly
true, one with too much run out will cause the tip of the bit to
wobble.

BELT SANDER -- Same rationale. I would think there isn't a lot of reason
not to get an inexpensive unit. E.g., a combo 6" disc/36" belt for about
$60 from Harbor Freight. Same question: Are there any compelling/quality
issues that should require me to spend more? If so, what?

Dust collection capabilities! Sanders make a LOT of dust, so this is
important.

JOINTER -- 6" with a square fence that locks well. Popular Woodworking
gave the Grizzly model 1182HW ($305) an Editors Choice award. Yet this is
pretty much low-end of the price range (except for benchtop models). Is
there any reason to pay for more than this?

All you need are flat fences and flat tables. I picked up a Ridgid
for the same price as the Grizz delivered, and it's great. Nothing
sexy about a jointer. G It's either accurate or it's not. There
are folks here with the Grizz 6", so I'm sure you'll get information.

ROUTER -- I don't understand the ins and outs of routers, but I gather it's
worth buying a better unit, though I couldn't tell you why. What are the
minimum capabilities I should look for? What brands are adequate for my
purpose and what likely price range?

Do a Google search on 1617EVS, Porter Cable, and Dewalt. This is a
whole topic in itself. You can get a great unit, suitable for table
mounting or hand held use, with multiple bases for ~$200, from any of
the three companies. I prefer the Bosch 1617EVS, others the PC 693.
I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

PLANER -- (sometime down the road perhaps) It seems like the wisdom is
to buy something that produces smooth results with blades that aren't too
hard to change. Probably a 12" portable model. Price range perhaps $300
for a decent one. Sound right?

Right. Remember, the jointer and the planer go TOGETHER! G I'm
very happy with my DeWalt 733, which is currently being redesigned.

There are plenty to choose from in the $300-350 range, all work great.

Barry