GTO69RA4

Default power tools -- price vs quality?

I had the attitude a couple years ago that all these folks who were down on
cheap and/or imported tools were a bunch of out-of-touch snobs. Then I actually
bought some. At least with the experiences I had, I would never, ever again buy
anything slightly off-brand or cheaply made. I lost a lot of money and ended up
with pretty scrap metal.

Grizzly is as far off the beaten path as I'd go, and I wouldn't buy their
cheapest stuff. The bench grinder I got from HF was useless.

I only buy used qualilty tools these days. I've been getting DeWalt 18V drills
for $25-35 off eBay and table saws for free around here. It's amazing what you
can find.

GTO(John)

I'm a potential newbie woodworker, trying to ascertain the likely cost of
getting into this. I'm persuaded by all the advice on this newgroup that
it's worth springing for a good table saw first and foremost. But I don't
have a sense of when it's worthwhile paying more for better (brand?) for
other types of equipment. I check the catalogs and, as you all know, there
is a considerable spread in price for a given type of equipment. Obviously,
I want to be able to get good results so I don't become frustrated and
disillusioned with the hobby. On the other hand, I really want to minimize
the expense. I'm probably most likely to be doing cabinets, bookshelves,
desks, furniture types of things.

So, any advice on the following equipment would be appreciated. (Apologies
if some of my comments seem naive, but don't hesitate to correct me.)

DRILL PRESS -- It seems to me that as long as the 'table' can be set square
(or at a set angle), and locked tight, anything else is a matter of
convenience. So, I'm thinking like a 8" 5-speed Harbor Freight (Central
Machinery) or Grizzly for $70-$80. Are there any compelling/quality issues
that should require me to spend more? If so, what?

BELT SANDER -- Same rationale. I would think there isn't a lot of reason
not to get an inexpensive unit. E.g., a combo 6" disc/36" belt for about
$60 from Harbor Freight. Same question: Are there any compelling/quality
issues that should require me to spend more? If so, what?

JOINTER -- 6" with a square fence that locks well. Popular Woodworking
gave the Grizzly model 1182HW ($305) an Editors Choice award. Yet this is
pretty much low-end of the price range (except for benchtop models). Is
there any reason to pay for more than this?

ROUTER -- I don't understand the ins and outs of routers, but I gather it's
worth buying a better unit, though I couldn't tell you why. What are the
minimum capabilities I should look for? What brands are adequate for my
purpose and what likely price range?

PLANER -- (sometime down the road perhaps) It seems like the wisdom is
to buy something that produces smooth results with blades that aren't too
hard to change. Probably a 12" portable model. Price range perhaps $300
for a decent one. Sound right?

DUST COLLECTION -- a very early investment. I've done quite a bit of
reading on this so I think I understand the cost/quality issues.

Many thanks.