Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg evodawg is offline

Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

wrote:

Hi all,

I need to hire an electrician to install 2 ceiling fans in my house.

Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through
the closet access panel
Living room: There is no access here.

Both rooms appear to not have any preexisting hook ups.

Not including the fan how much should this job cost?

For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably
much more for the downstairs.

What do you guys think?

If I were doing this job and I do them all the time. 75.00 if ceiling is
prewired for a fan. If you don't have an outlet in the ceiling and you want
a wall switch 75.00 plus 100.00 for going into an attic and another 75.00
to wire switch, if I can get access without windowing drywall. Materials
are extra, 3 wire for separate controls, 2 switch's and or dimmer extra.
250.00 total labor material extra and this is without seeing the job.

The living room will be much more and without seeing it, I would not even
give an estimate. I have special tools to bore thru joists without doing
much drywall windowing but it still needs some and repair afterwards,
including drywall repair, texture, primer and paint.

I don't see this guy being that far off. Matter of fact he in my book is
right on.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"