Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Does anyone do Minature Turnings

In message
,
randyswoodshoop writes
Hi,

Does anyone do minature or tiny turning?. Very small vases, bowls or
othe projects. Just for display or fordoll houses?
Im looking for information on these type projects. What lathe speeds,
tool suggestions tips and designs?
If anyone can help thanks in advance.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

I have done a few of what I call small turnings, namely goblets the
smallest being 1 inch tall and a little under 1/2 inch diameter, There
was a long stem version slightly at 2 inch tall and a 1/2 inch diameter,
but the reason for the long stem was to allow for a captive ring.

I used a micro turning kit for most of it with the lathe at high speed,
I tended to do much of the work with effectively scrapers, as cutting
would make that small piece of wood disappear rather quickly. When I
made the captive ring I made my own tool from a 1/25 silver steel rod,
with a small hook curve at the end, sharpened to give a point and flat
that could act as a scraper , bit like the hollowing tools. In use I
just let it chip away at high speed. Finished the inside of the ring by
wrapping the stem in sandpaper, rough side out, and spinning for a few
seconds, not perfect but...

I suspect that if you took a 1 inch straight edge scraper and cut
suitable grooves in it using a thin angle grinder disk, you may be able
to make a tool to scrape a complete shape, which would also be
repetitive. Something for me to try one day

--
John