Default Experts: What is Laser Cutting vs. Dye Cutting?

"L&D" wrote:

Hello experienced woodworkers

I am working on a special project (I'm actually a textile artist), and I
need to have some masonite or hardboard cut into a specific size and shape
(small squares) in some quantity.

What quantity, it makes a big difference. Give dimensions.

I will have to shop this out to someone, and I need to have as ultra smooth
edges as I can get with exact size. Is what I'm looking for called laser
cutting or dye cutting, and what is the difference?

Laser burns material and has cutting beam guided by some sort of
motion control system. Die Cutting uses steel blades embeded in die
board (really great plywood) that is forced into material by a full
revolution press or a hyd press against a steel score plate.

Where would I look to find someone like this to do this type of work?

Where do you live? There is a laser shop in GR Michigan iirc and I
know that there is a die cutter in Traverse City Mi. A web search
should find someone close to you.

Wes