Jeff Gorman

Default Scary Sharp revisited

"Bill Hodgson" wrote

: I have a question about sharpening in general. I have used the scary
: sharp method with amazing results on cheap chisels as well as my plane
: irons. What I need to know is if I'm doing it correctly. My question
: is: Do you both push the blade down the paper as well as pull it
: back, or do you only move the blade in one direction (eg push the
: blade down the paper)?

A disadvantage of using coated abrasives for this kind of sharpening is that
the blade will tend to plane the grains from the paper, if not actually cut
through it.

I have seen one technique recommended by a well-known writer who moves the
blade in a direction parallel to the edge, presumably to reduce this effect.

However there is some information that goes against pressure on the forward
stoke. This can be seen on my web site. Please see 'Sharpening Notes' -
'Some Scientific Light on Sharpening Technique'.

For most practical purposes, I reckon that abrading on a hard surface
(oilstone, diamond stone or glass) wins hands-down. You can do the natural
thing and push on the forward stroke.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK