Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry Avant Harry Avant is offline

Default Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a broken bulb

I have been looking for dimmable florescents without luck. Where do
you find them - can you tell me the brand?

James Sweet wrote:

metspitzer wrote:
WASHINGTON – Members of Congress are beginning to have second thoughts
about the ban on incandescent light bulbs effective in 2014 as a
result of an energy bill signed into law earlier this year.

Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas, says his objection is very basic – the
Constitution doesn't authorize Congress to do anything remotely like
banning a product that has been used safely and efficiently for more
than 100 years in favor of Chinese-imported compact fluorescent light
bulbs that pose considerable health and safety risks.

Poe cited the dangers associated with CFLs, which carry small amounts
of mercury that can enter the environment through breakage and
disposal. He also objected to reliance on the CFL alternatives when,
currently, all are made in China.

"Congress passed an energy bill that should be called the
anti-American non-energy bill because it punishes Americans for using
energy when it should be finding new sources of available energy," Poe
stated.

(Story continues below)

http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=67573

Both the ban and the reasons cited here for questioning the ban are the
silly result of politicians with poor understanding of the issues
involved. The amount of mercury in a CFL is tiny, burning coal to
generate electricity also releases mercury, few light bulbs of any sort
are US made, and for some applications, incandescent still has advantages.

I was searching for a light fixture the other day and discovered that
*every* flush mount at both hardware stores I tried are now fluorescent.
Naturally they're all super cheaply made, and the ballasts do not
support dimming. I was irked and left the store without purchasing
anything. The ironic thing is that I've long been using almost entirely
compact fluorescents in my house for years and enjoying the substantial
energy savings, however I use the screw-in retrofit type which is
readily available in a dimming version, various wattages and color
temperatures, and the ballast, which in my experience fails as often as
the tube, is replaced each time with the tube. I don't need legislation
to get me to use more efficient products, it makes economic sense to do
so, but if someone wants to pay a fortune to run something inefficient,
let them.