Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mark.lauritsen1@gmail.com is offline

Default Need tips on building a brush hog

I'm considering building a brush hog; the kind you pull behind an
ATV. It would be modelled after the Swisher Trail Cutter, which has a
single blade/rotor, 44" cutting width, and 14.5 HP engine. According
to Swisher's parts diagram, the engine has a 4" pulley and the blade
driver has a 10" pulley (give or take a fraction).

I'm looking for a used 15 - 18 HP engine for my home built machine.
They pop up on craigslist often enough. I'll buy Swisher's blades.

One area I'm not sure how to construct is the blade drive shaft, hub,
bearings, and pully assembly. I'm thinking of using a 1 inch keyed
shaft with two flange-mounted bearings, one above and one below the
deck.

So one question is: Does a 1 inch drive shaft seem strong enough?

I would also appreciate a tip on where to get a hub that will attach
the blade to the shaft, or some other means of doing that. I am not a
machinist, don't have a mill, so I can't fabricate my own hub. I do
have a drill press, angle grinder, welder.

Thanks.