Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default sump pump float switch sticks on

wrote in message
I have a submersible sump pump that's only a couple of years old. To
make a long story short, some work on the piping necessitated that I
bring up the pump. With my pipes back together, I lowered the pump
down only to find out that it now won't shut off.

I've examined it, and I can't see that the float would be getting
stuck. The switch has some odd behavior, though. When raised up a
little, it starts the pump. But when raised up just a little more, it
latches, and the float is nowhere near heavy enough to bring it back
down. And that's what's happening. The sump fills up, the float switch
latches, and the pump doesn't stop.

Like I said, it's a fairly new pump. What part of this is normal
behavior, and what is the problem? Is it supposed to latch? Is the
float supposed to be able to unlatch it? Other than buy a brand new
pump again, what can I do?

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Look at it.
Figure out why it is misbehaving.
Fix it.