Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default increasing hot water pressure to kitchen taps

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
Hi guys,
I have a gravity fed hot water system from a normal hot tank ch in the
upstairs bedroom (a long way away from the kitchen tap)
and the hot water takes ages to run, what's more is there is not enough
pressure to let the new spray tap work properly. Cold water is not a
problem.

can I fit a small pump to increase the hot water pressure?

If so where should I put it? I have two sinks one in the utility room (ie
the old kitchen) and one in my lovely new kitchen in the extension.

The hot water stop valve turns all hot water to taps off, so if I put it
near there it would increase the pressure all round.

Are there any items I should be wary of with the increase in pressure
ie hot feed to washing machine, hot tank bulging? CH hot water system
becoming upset?

The pump would be between the tank and the taps, most likely near the
valve you mention. It won't cause problems behind it and will only come on
when water is called for. It will be fiddly to fit and a potential surce
of leaks and breakdown and will be noisy. OTOH you'll get pressure!

A good make and something which would (probably) be quieter than the usual
shower pumps might be:

http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/aca...E_BOOSTER.html

Please note - although this looks like a central heating pump (and, in fact,
is one with some bits added) it is very likely that it MUST be mounted as
the picture shows, or the flow sensor won't work (actual central heating
pumps can be mounted anyway round, as long as the motor shaft is
horizontal). This may make a difference to the ease of fitting!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)