Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mounting Trellis Panels Against a Wall

Cicero wrote:
On Sat, 31 May 2008 11:46:42 +0100, Rod wrote:

We've got three 900mm wide, 1800 high trellis panels (solid edged - not
just the trellis bit).

I have to fix them to a wall. Simple enough if I screw straight through
the framing. But not easy to remove in future (e.g. to re-treat the wood).

So I thought that I could use U-shaped clips for the bottom. Simply
screw to the wall and drop the bottom of the panels into the clips. And
sort of J-clips at the top. Screw them to the wall - but the long side
woudl have a slot. Slide the clip up, drop the panel into the U-clips at
the bottom, slide the J-clip down. Job done.

(In fact, I could use J-clips top and bottom - just fixing the bottom
ones at the lower limit of their sliding capacity.)

Anyone have another name for the J-clip things?

Suggestions for where to find them?

Do they even exist in garden fencing scale? (I have seen similar for
things like mirrors.)

Are there better ways of achieving what I want?

Screw battens (about 1.5" thick)to the wall as permanent fixtures. Then
screw your trellis panels to the battens. This has the advantage that
climbing plants can climb without damaging the panels.

Cic.

I remember my father using used up wooden cotton reels wih long screws
to space trellis off the walls. This in the days where all self
respecting people made and repaired their own clothes.