Posted to alt.home.repair
George Abbot George Abbot is offline

Default Craftsman lawn mower- disassembly mandrel assembly

Thanks to all for the help in identifying my problem with my craftsman 20hp 42" model 917.27682.

It is a bent mandrel. I ordered the complete assembly as I did not want to try and force the shaft out since it
did not want to leave.

I got it down to the shaft, ball bearing unit, and the collar still together as a unit. I gave the shaft a few
wacks with hammer and a piece of wood cushioning the blow to see if the shaft would come out. It did not move.

So how do you get the mandrel and ball bearing unit out of the collar so only the mandrel needs to be replaced?
Be nice to have a spare.

GA