Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Petrol strimmer / brush cutter recommendations

ARWadworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news

I need a petrol strimmer. Basic requirements a

Long - must reach the ground when I am standing up - something most tools
of this sort seem to fail to do!

Usage will be relatively light - an hour a week perhaps trimming edges,
round and under trees etc.

It would be handy if it could take a hedge trimmer attachment - I have
one tall evergreen hedge about 60' long that could use the occasional
taming. The extra reach would be handy - I don't have a hedge trimmer at
all at the moment.

Any recommendations?

Not a recommendation but Screwfix do have one on special offer.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/61459/Landscaping/Landscaping-Power-Tools/Brushcutters-Trimmers/Ryobi-Petrol-Brushcutter-30cc-1-04Hp
just in case you have not seen it.

Adam

I bought the 25cc version of the Ryobi above. It's noisy and a bit
unbalanced to hold, but it was at the cheaper end (79 quid) and it's still
got more guts than an electric. Apart from caveats mentioned, it seems
competent. It was a distress purchase as I was faced with vast amounts of
2' high grass last week.

However, I did go and get the hedge cutter attachment from Bodgeit-Qwik this
week and that seems quite good for lots of light trimming. Biggest stick it
would go through was about 3/8". I would be interested to find out what the
chainsaw/pruner attachment is like...

I have noticed various combo deals on the web.

like this one:

http://www.cheapmowers.com/acatalog/...shcutters.html

and this one

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/Garden...540/p4262.aspx

I'm sure I saw a combo deal on chainsaw + hedge trimmer for about 70 quid,
but I can't find it just now...

HTH

Tim

PS

Apparently the Ryobi ExpandIt system is compatible with other similar
systems including Flymo's, or so the sign in B&Q claimed...