Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to prop up floor joists

In article
,
RobertL wrote:
Under the house the gap between the earth to underside of each joist
is about 50cm. This is too big for a car scissor jack - I had
imagined using a row of scissor jacks. It's too small for an ACROW
prop.

One simple solution is to use some wooden 4"x2" props with carpenter's
wedges to adjust the height. But I am worried about creating a damp-
conducting path up to the joists even if I stand the base on damp
proofing membrane.

The ground floor in my Victorian house was changed from sitting on wood
wall plates to 'floating' as part of damp and wood treatment. They built
brick piers and columns in the cellar with minimal footings which the
joists now rest on - via a cross joist or two. A simple damp proof
membrane between brick and wood.

--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.