Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default How to prop up floor joists

On May 20, 4:35*pm, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:11:46 -0700 (PDT) RobertL wrote :

Under the house the gap between the earth to underside of each joist
is about 50cm. *This is too big for a car scissor jack - I had
imagined using a row of scissor jacks. *It's too small for an ACROW
prop.

You want trench props.http://www.toptower.co.uk/builders_props.htmwas
the first source thrown up by Google but there may be cheaper options.
As you only want to use them the once, a hire shop might sell some used
ones.

thank you all for your suggestions. Tony was right on the nail
though. TRENCH PROPS are exactly what I need. they come in just the
right sizes.

It is a permanent installation, but I might decide to move them around
if the piano is moved.

Rod's comments about doing otehr work down there at the same time it
well taken, but I have good access via a trap door so I can get down
there without too much effort.

Many thanks,

Robert

Robert