Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default Nail holes on hardwood floor

"Bob M." wrote in message
. ..
"John61" wrote in message
We have been in the house for 10 years, with carpet on main floor.
Surprisingly just found under the old carpet is hardwood floor! Removed
all the carpet, the hardwood is basically in good condition, don't think
it needs a refinish. But there are dozens of small nail holes scattered
on the floor (don't know why the previous owner made them). Also there
will be holes along the walls after I remove nail track strip.

How to repair the holes? just want to make them more invisible.

If they're small holes, the dust from sanding will fill them, but this
requires sanding & refinishing the entire floor. You may end up doing
that anyhow. If you use a filler and cover it with urethane or whatever,
the finish may not match the surrounding surface, and if either one is
glossy, you WILL notice it.

I did nothing and it is not noticeable unless you look for it (but I did
refinish). Only in a few places like the threshold between rooms (under the
closed door) did they get a little carried away and put too many nails to
hide. Make sure to pull all of them or they will wear down the sandpaper
faster.

If you are not refinishing, then I would just use that wax crayon type wood
filler