Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressure washer leakage problem

Mike Barnes wrote:
When I switched on my (Karcher KB 9030) pressure washer for the first
time this year there was no pressure and water was gushing out of the
casing. I opened it up and found that the plastic elbow (connecting
the high pressure hose to the compressor) was cracked. So I Googled
the part number, ordered a new part, fitted it. Easy.

I guess the frost must have got to it.

Highly likely.

Then after a few minutes, use another leak started, identical to the
first, but on the inlet side this time. No problem it was only a fine
spray and it didn't seem to have any effect on the performance.

Then after about half-an-hour's use bugger me it developed yet another
leak. This time it's a fairly major leak where the second inlet elbow
joins onto the compressor.

Photo:
http://thedowerhouse.com/pics/leak1.jpg

Slightly better close-up of leak 3:
http://thedowerhouse.com/pics/leak2.jpg

The result of the leak is that when the outlet is closed the motor
starts and stops about once a second, and water leaks out of the
casing. When the outlet is open everything seems to work fine.

The leak is on the high pressure side of the pump head and is causing the
auto stop start to get confused. Long term use like this will cause damage.

I'm not so keen to tackle this problem because it looks like I'll have
to remove the metal cover and I suspect it won't be quite so easy to
reassemble.

I'm assuming this machine has a swash plate pump, unlikely to be anything
else (just looked & it does). There are two parts to the head, the pressure
head & the crank, called housing 1 & housing 2 on this diagram

http://www.espares.co.uk/diagram/pre...507566?ed=2832

Removing the pressure (26 on the diagram) by undoing the bolts (27) should
reveal a gasket which has probably gone. Should be simple to do, just make
sure you don't lose any o rings. Shouldn't be any ping****its. Don't
attempt to remove the crank/housing 2 because you probably need special
tools to get it back.

HTH

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman