Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:40:15 +0100, Bruce wrote:

I have acquired two old(ish) garden benches which have cast iron ends
in reasonable condition but rotten wooden slats. I had intended to
repaint the ends and replace the slats with hardwood, however my
partner spotted Homebase were selling new benches for only £30 each.

The Homebase bench is shown he
http://tinyurl.com/6c99x4
or
http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/h...7UC318746X.jpg

Our bench ends are more attractive but those on the Homebase benches
are just about good enough.

Supermarket garden benches are usually pretty flimsy, so you would
really be better off getting some oak (or similar) slats, even if they
do cost a little more than 60 quid.

Another advantage is that your reconditioned benches would likely be
more recognisable should they be nicked from your
garden/patio/whatever.

And of course you can make the benches to the optimum length to fit
your available space.

--
Frank Erskine